Friday, February 13, 2009

Letter to Paul McCartney Regarding Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine

Dear Beatles (especially Paul) Mal, Neil, etc.,

I just had to write to congratulate you on your latest disc. Lesser informed Beatle People may be wondering why Mal and Neil are included. If I am correct, Mal, Neil, George Martin and various recording technicians and staff are included on the last chorus of "Yellow Submarine" with you.

Back to the disc. It's really fantastic. "Yellow Submarine" is so different and really great. Also, it's a change to hear Ringo on a single! (no offence John and Paul), "Eleanor Rigby" is really gorgeous. I really love it and Paul, you sing it so beautifully. It's so sad and appealing. I get the feeling that there is a meaning behind the lyrics. Is this so? I can't quite figure it out but I really love it!

Love and kisses to
P J G R Mal Neil
XXX XX XX XX X X

Diane Schofield,
Near Warrington, Lancs.

Paul replies:--
You're quite correct about Neil, Mal, George Martin and Uncle Tom Cobbley and ALL, Diane. We had a whale of a time making it, and we've always wanted Ringo to do a single. When you ask if there's a meaning behind the lyrics, I guess I'm just trying to say that too many people are neglected in this world--and look at the outcome of it. Anyway glad you like them BOTH.

No comments: